Thursday, February 28, 2008

Raver Couples in Candyland





The 90's rave scene consisted of many a disgruntled teenager and twenty-something adult. With a general disillusionment with the idea of growing up, we revolted against the expected ideals placed on us by society. We embraced our new freedoms with trepidation, but we had no more desire to truly assimilate to the bleak, shades of grey existence of adults.

Like the Dandies of days past we donned brightly colored clothes, creating a protective cocoon of denial and revolution that ballooned out around us. As we disappeared beneath the folds of our giant pants, and our oversized shirts, we embraced our inner children with a delusional, naive, innocence. Armed with lollipops and pacifiers, we danced to the beat of our own drums, calling out the stereotypes of society to war.

Twenty years young and still looking to Candyland for the meaning of life, love, and the inspiration to live it.

Todo, I don't think we're in Candyland anymore.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sister is very bangable!! Too bad it was 11 years ago.

Jenna said...

Nice James...real nice...way to show my best rolly faced self. but Uri is totally right, I was way bangable. =P

Anonymous said...

haha... Boston and New York ravers definitely are responsible for turning stuffy clothing manufacturers on their asses and launching their sales to the moon. It's interesting how the whole Polo thing came about. It really doesn't make much sense if you think about it. I could theorize about it for an hour but I won't. I definitely could trace the Polo fashion fad that is STILL in it's first wave in places like wyoming to 5 or 6 drug dealers from NYC and Beantown.

wilkins said...

Don't know if you're baiting us, or really believe that schlup you type.

I'm not even going to call you out on it.

It ain't worth it.

Jenna said...

In response to Wilkins I think she's looking at that time in our lives with fond nostalgia. Sure it may sound a bit idealized but when looking back at that time I think it's easy for us to do.

Inanna said...

i think wilkins may have been responding to the waffle of the above comment, not the post. i could be wrong though, but i dont give a shit what anyone thinks anyway. its all fun over here. theres nothing to call anyone out on. why write if you cant do it eloquently, and to entertain. wtf is the point. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

wilkins said...

damn... sorry... yes, I was responding to "anonymous"... I too have fond memories - well, of the stuff I can remember. Maybe there *was* something to that serotonin thing...

Jenna said...

hehe, sorry. shame on me. =[ And oh yeah there definitely -was- something to it.

4rilla said...

I had the experiences, but I lost the memories...

i wish I could bring those good times back thru the cobwebs of my mind.

Anonymous said...

awesome. great trip down memory lane. we were all messed up and the hangovers were some of the worst i've ever experienced, but we were living.

i'm so happy i was there!